Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Seven Truths About Real-Life Parenting

credit




While going through my collection of papers from Women's Ministry, I stumbled upon notes from a message we heard called "Keeping It Real:  Seven Truths."  I am embarrassed to say that I have no memory of who gave this talk but I want to pass along this wisdom because it is that good.  Real, hard facts about parenting.  Truths that I fight but need to come to grips with.

1.  I will make mistakes. 
This sentences is hard for me to just type.  Not because I don't believe I make mistakes but because I try with all my power to not make more.  Call it "Type A."  Call it "perfectionism."  Either way, accepting this is a struggle.

2.  My children will make mistakes.
...And probably at the most inappropriate times.  No matter how "great" of a momma I am, my kids will be kids.  I must separate their choices with my self-image.

3.  My husband will make mistakes.
At times, I expect my husband to be perfect.  I expect him to learn from his mistakes and never "hurt" me again, especially when we have had a good conversation about the issue. This isn't realistic nor fair to him.

4.  Nothing surprised God.
My favorite verse from Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." 

Another set of verses from Psalm 139:1-3.  You have searched me, Lord, and you know me.  You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.  You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.

There is peace in this fact.

5.  My identity is not found in my parenting.
I am a child of the King.  Being a mom is a role, a job that I play.  Nothing is going to change who I am and my relationship with my Father.  What happens will only change what I do and not who I am.

6.  I am not responsible for the end product. 
I am responsible to "impress" God on my children (Deut 6:5-9).  I am responsible for their training.  I am not responsible for the choices they make in life.  This is very hard for me to grasp. 

7.  Only three things are eternal - God, God's Word, and the souls of men.  
God looks at the heart thus we need to be concerned with our children's hearts.  Matthew 28:19-20 says "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."  Right now, my "disciples" are my children. 

Read more Parenting posts

2 comments :

The Our Out-of-Sync Life blog focuses on encouraging women to deepen their spiritual life, simplify daily tasks, and impress Jesus on the children around them.