Friday, January 31, 2014

Fun Winter and Alphabet Book: S is for Snowman



All in all, I dislike alphabet books.  Loath them, actually.

I cringe when my kids pick them off the library shelves.  My first instinct is one of I-really-don't-want-to-read-this-book-grrrrr!  Sometimes, I suggest a different book in exchange.  Other times I give a flat out - No!

When the God's Alphabet books were suggested on the ABC Jesus Loves Me Facebook Group, I was extremely skeptical. 

What a pleasant surprise S Is for Snowman: God's Wintertime Alphabet was!

This book focuses on two levels of the alphabet.  First is the individual letters - S.  The entire book focuses on winter (snowmen being one activity).  The second level is how each page of the book uses a different letter from the alphabet (from a - z) to tell about Winter.  While not a story with a plot, the book flows very well explaining God's creations of wintertime.  Each page begins with (letter) is for ____  and then goes on to explain the word using rhyming lines.  The letter is capitalized any time a word begins with that sound.

H is for Hot Chocolate
Would you like Hot Chocolate?
It's tasty and sweet.
Let's add the marshmallows - 
Oh!  What a treat.

The illustrations are soft and detailed show many different levels of winter.  The people show emotion in their activities. 

Honestly, the book was delightful.  I hope to read many more in Kathy-jo Wargin's series!  These books would be wonderful for the Letter of the Week practice.  I have added it to the Letter S Ideas.

 

So grab mugs of hot cocoa, turn on the fire, and read S Is for Snowman: God's Wintertime Alphabet(Click on link to order from Amazon.)


Thank you to Zonderkidz for allowing me to review this fun book!

No comments :

Post a Comment

The Our Out-of-Sync Life blog focuses on encouraging women to deepen their spiritual life, simplify daily tasks, and impress Jesus on the children around them.