Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Parenting Points to Ponder

source
Pin It

My mom attended a seminar several years back and gathered these parenting points. I thought that each were very good when thinking about raising and training your child. 

AS (Attention Span) = Age

How many times I forget the age of my child - especially my first born.  Sometimes my expectations are much higher than the child is capable.  This is notably important when thinking about the child's attention span.  Let me put it in perspective.  According to the seminar speaker* "an adult can only listen for 20 minutes." Something to think about the next time we ask our children to sit still for long periods of time.
Rules Without Relationship = Rebellion

Where is the love?  The child has to know that you love and care about them before they will obey you.  Trust and respect must be involved.
 
He Who Angers You Controls You

Often times in hearing this quote we think of relationships with other adults.  But, I believe this applies to toddlers too!  Once I get angry, my child has won the battle.  This is especially true of older kids who like to "push their parents' buttons."
Q-tip = Quit taking it Personally
Love this reminder!  It is so easy to take disobedience personally.  Like my child always ____ just to get to me.  In honesty, my child sins because he/she is testing boundaries and has a sinful nature.  My child forgets to _____ because he/she is a child.  Taking the personal aspect out of the situation can help keep the problem from erupting.
When They Get Louder, You Get Softer
Volume escalates volume.  The louder the child gets, the louder the adult gets, and the louder the child gets.  Stop the cycle and do the reverse. 



Which point is most important for you to ponder?



*I do not the name or the speaker at this seminar.  Please contact me if you know the source so credit can be given.  

No comments :

Post a Comment

The Our Out-of-Sync Life blog focuses on encouraging women to deepen their spiritual life, simplify daily tasks, and impress Jesus on the children around them.