Monday, July 9, 2012

When to Have Quiet Time, Part 2

A couple of weeks ago, we started a series on this blog about personal devotion time with God. Thus far, we have talked about what it is, why it is importantwhen to have it, and ideas of what to study
Today, I want to dive a little deeper into the "when" and answer a few of your questions.

I am becoming more and more convinced that before I can raise godly men and a godly woman sold out for Jesus Christ, I must be a godly mom whose heart is focused on my Savior. 

Every time I watch my son yell at his sister I am convicted.  Every time that I see my daughter give a answer filled with attitude I am humbled.  I realize that they are watching the sin come out of their own mother's heart. 

How do I become the godly example that they need?  I must reflect Jesus.

How do I reflect Jesus?  I must know Him.

How do I know Him?  I must spend time with Him through prayer and being in the Bible. 

In the first post on "When to Have Quiet Time," I gave the example of Mark 1:35 where Jesus rose early to pray. 

Verses also fill the Psalms of the importance of rising early to spend time with the Lord. 

• Psalm 5:3 - In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly.
• Psalm 88:13 - But I cry to you for help, LORD; in the morning my prayer comes before you.
• Psalm 143:8 - Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you.   Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.

By beginning my day with the Lord, I am inviting the Lord to rule the day. Just like a shower is a physical preparedness for the day, devo time is a spiritual preparedness for all of the tasks and challenges that lie ahead. I am asking the Holy Spirit to guide me. For a busy mom, when devotion time is first and foremost on the list, there is less of a chance that my day will end without me spending time in the Word.   

Now for some of your questions:

My kids get up early.
Your kids wake up way before you are ready to greet their smiley faces.  I understand.  "Momm-mmmy" used to be my wake-up call. But not too quickly (unfortunately), I learned that this did not work. It made for a hurried and crabby mommy.  While sleeping in meant I was getting more sleep, I was neglecting my spiritual health.

Our children are not allowed out of their bedrooms until 7:00.  At a very young age, we trained them to play in their rooms or cribs until we came to get them. It wasn't easy but it was so worth the effort.  Training is the key word.

What about little ones needing to use the potty?
Help the child use the potty and then return the child to his/her room with a few toys or books until 7:00.  Make morning wakeup time sacred like you make bedtime.  Have a routine and stick to it. 

But, I need sleep.
Sleep is very important for kids and adults.  But God showed me that my priorities had to change. I was placing physical needs over spiritual.  Now, my clock radio sings God’s praises at 5:00 each morning. 

I understand that this is very early.  But this is the only way that I can have my quiet time and prepare myself for the day.  This way, I make sure that I am ready spiritually, physically, and mentally.

Do I have to get up at 5:00 in the morning?

The answer is simple…I don’t know.  Maybe.  It depends on your circumstances.  Most importantly, the time you set your alarm to go off is between you and God.  Have you asked Him?

Can't I have quiet time in the afternoon or evening?

I know many women who spend the vast amount of their quiet time either during nap time or after the children have gone to bed.  If this is when you can consistently devote a set amount of time to study and prayer, great.  But be sure to spend a few minutes first thing in the morning to invite the Lord to take the reins, pray about the activities of the day, and surrender your will.  But as I stated before,  when devotion time is first and foremost on the list, there is less of a chance that the day will end without you spending time in the Word.   

Next post in this series...Where should I have quiet time and does it matter?




What questions do you have about morning quiet time?



No comments :

Post a Comment

The Our Out-of-Sync Life blog focuses on encouraging women to deepen their spiritual life, simplify daily tasks, and impress Jesus on the children around them.