Tuesday, June 12, 2012

What is a Quiet Time?



When I asked each of you to tell me "What Do You Want?" I got an array of answers - discipline, friendship, training, etc.  And as I thought through each of these topics, I kept coming back to one thing - our relationship with our Savior.  Because, when our relationship with God is lacking, then everything else is going to be in need as well.
Yesterday, I asked, "Have you spent time in the Word and in prayer this morning?"  And today, I ask the same question.  Have you?

What we have to realize is that even though days are busy and challenging, it is imperative that we start out each day with a ready heart.  A heart that is tuned into God, His love, and His will.

Yesterday began a series on quiet times.  Devotionals or devo if you prefer various lingo.   Over the next few weeks, we will be looking at the five W's and one H on this subject - who, what, when, where, why, and how.  I pray that together we will see the importance of spending time each morning at our Savior's feet and then how to make the time refreshing and worth getting up for. 

In Luke 10:38-42, Martha was frustrated that she was doing all of the work while her sister sat at Jesus’ feet.  Jesus said, "Martha, Martha ... you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Jesus said, "Only one thing is needed."  Martha got wrapped up in all the “stuff” that needed to be done and lost sight of the "one thing."

I can totally relate.  We as moms have so much "stuff" to do.  As more and more "stuff" piles up like a stinky mound of laundry, the "one thing" gets buried deeper and deeper.  But just as Jesus refocused Martha's attention, He will refocus us if we simply ask.

Having a quiet time or devotional is spending a few moments reading God's Word, praying, and reflecting.  It is time set aside to be still and focus on God, who He is, and who He desires us to be.  Think of it as a "time out" for mommy.  Quiet time is when we spend time with God and He reveals Himself to us thus allowing us to be reflective of His Image. 

Isn't that our goal anyway?  To be more like God as a mirror image?  For people to look at us and see God in how we love and live life?

That is my hearts cry.  I pray that it is yours as well.

Back to the original question.  Have you spent time in the Word and in prayer this morning?  If you haven't, go right now.  Open your Bible to Psalm 59:16 or any other passage that God leads you to.  Today, spend some time reading, praying, and reflecting so that you are focusing on the "one thing needed."

Tomorrow...When To Have Quiet Time




How would you describe quiet time?


2 comments :

  1. Hey Heidi,
    I've just started following your blog. I'm a 61 year old grandma/Honey. I gave up work in the corporate world three years ago to stay home with 5 of my 15 grands, preschoolers at the time and have HONEY School. I wasn't able to do this when my 4 sons were growing up, so this is my way of giving back. This year I'll only have 3 with me - Brinton /4, Morgan/4 and Rachel/21 months. I've lost Carley/6 and Avery/5 to REAL school as they call it.

    For the last three years, we had a hodge/podge curriculum that I planned based on the ABC's and Bible verses. You can't imagine my surprise and pure delight when I found your website yesterday. I'm all set for August and I didn't have to spend all summer pulling lessons together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love your comment. Thank you for "paying it forward." You may be interested to know that there is a "grandparents" section on the ABCJLM Forum on the ABCJLM website. We would love to have you join us!

    ReplyDelete

The Our Out-of-Sync Life blog focuses on encouraging women to deepen their spiritual life, simplify daily tasks, and impress Jesus on the children around them.