Monday, June 18, 2012

What Do I Study in Devo Time?




Last week we began a blog series on devotions {aka quiet time, devos, morning meditation, time with God...}.  I pray that you are understanding that even though days are busy and challenging, it is imperative that we start out each day with a ready heart. A heart that is tuned into God, His love, and His will. 

Today, let's look at what to study during these times.  I am going to give you several suggestions and you pick what will work best for your personality and situation. 


  • Start small.  Don’t plan to read a doctorate thesis on the Trinity as your first study.  Having a quality quiet time doesn't mean that you have to spend three hours on your knees and in the Word each morning.  If your heart is open to God, something is always better than nothing in this case.


  • Choose a devotional or your favorite book of the Bible.  My husband prefers to read a group of verses and then asks the Holy Spirit to guide him to understanding.  This system isn't as successful for me as I need more guidance and direction.  I prefer devotional guides. 


  • This devotional guide has been in homes for several generations.  If this is the first time that you have done daily devotions, the Our Daily Bread devotions by RBC Ministry may be a good place to start.    You can have these sent quarterly to your home, read them online, on your Kindle, or even download an app(If using the computer is a temptation to check Facbook or email, I highly suggest you not use an internet device during devotional time.)  This devotional includes a short passage of scripture to read and then a synopsis by use of a story or analogy. 
  • Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence  - Several of my friends use the devotional.  The passages aren't very long but are written from Jesus' perspective. 

  • If you desire a study book to guide your time, you can find fabulous topical studies by Kay Arthur.  I really enjoyed Kay Arthur's Lord, Only You Can Change Me: A Devotional Study on Growing in Character from the Beatitudes




  • Beth Moore 90 Days Personal Reflections - My cousin suggested this set of studies by Beth Moore.  Each day contains scripture reading, questions, a reading passage, and time of prayer.  It is set up as a journal with area to write.  Beth Moore has written many other best-selling studies that are best done with the videos but can be done separately as well.


  •   I can not encourage you enough to read through the whole Bible using the The Daily Walk Bible NLT.  Truly an amazing experience! 

  • Praying the Scriptures for Your Childrenby Jodie Berndt is another option to help guide your prayer time for your children.
  •   I have enjoyed reading a Psalms or Proverbs chapter a day as well.
  • 4 comments :

    1. I have been using the Sitting at His Feet by Wanda Griffith. It is daily devotionals for the whoe year. I have been enjoying these daily devotionals and adding more scripture with it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you for this idea. I will look into this book!

        Delete
    2. YouVersion has a large variety of devotionals to chose from. My husband and I are currently going through 'Parenting by Design' together. I also have a daily reading plan as well as a homeschool devotional and one just for women that are emailed to me daily.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I didn't realize that YouVersion had devos. Thanks for sharing!

        Delete

    The Our Out-of-Sync Life blog focuses on encouraging women to deepen their spiritual life, simplify daily tasks, and impress Jesus on the children around them.